Saturday, April 5, 2008

On Training to be a Consultant

Can you train to be a Consultant?

I suppose the answer is Yes and No.

Fundamental personality traits are difficult to change. If you are an introvert and don't enjoy mixing with people, feel tongue-tied in a crowd or prefer stability and predictability, its difficult to change. But give me a guy with a good attitude, a dash of humility, a love for written and verbal expression, a desire to learn something new everyday and a hunger to catalyze change - well, that would be enough.

2 comments:

Avid Traveller said...

I agree totally with you. Theoretically its nice to hear and to know.

However, in practice it pains me to see that rarely do organisations take steps to identify the real personality of an individual and channel its potential in the direct direction. We rarely get to know the real personality of an individual as what is seen outside may not be their true self. I was wondering the tremendous leaps an organisation would make were it to identify this aspect of their employees. Would it ever happen or would the concept of a ‘Learning Organisation’ remain only a concept?

Unknown said...

Hi Prof.

Nice blog. I haven't consulted before but I don't see in myself the qualities that would make me a good consultant. But from observing consultants I guess you are spot on. Those are the qualities that would make a good consultant.

Also I think instead of being aggressive a consultant should be an unobtrusive person, only stepping in when asked to give an opinion.

And why do all consultants say standard things like "you are overstaffed" each time, every time?

No offense, with due respect, etc. to consultants.

John
http://johnpmathew.blogspot.com